United States of America will not observe tomorrow’s electoral process after a team of their observers were not accredited in time by the Electoral Commission of Uganda.
The United States ambassador to Uganda Natalie E. Brown expressed “profound disappointment” on Wednesday saying that the Embassy has decided to cancel plans to observe tomorrow’s election since most their teams did not get accreditations in time.
Of all accreditations applied for, only 25% were approved by the electoral commission with the remaining 75% denied which made the United States lack man power to make effective and meaningful observations in the whole country.
“With only 15 accreditations approved, it is not possible for the United States to meaningfully observe the conduct of Uganda’s elections at polling sites across the country,” The ambassador said in the statement said. “As we have stated previously, the United States takes no side in Uganda’s upcoming elections. We support a free, fair, peaceful, and inclusive electoral process.” The statement continued.
The leading challenger of Yoweri Kaguta Museveni Bobi Wine says they have chased election observers so that they can declare Museveni at all costs without anyone noticing.
“First, they refused to invite the EU Mission to observe this election. Now, U.S. observers have also been denied accreditation” Bobi Wine said “The world knows why Gen. Museveni is doing this. So unpopular and yet very desperate to declare himself winner at all costs. Uganda, turn up & vote!”