|Date Posted||November 21, 2020|
Deadline of this Job:
27 November 2020
Within Uganda , Kiryandongo , East Africa
Duty Station: Kigumba Kiryandongo District, Uganda
Agilis is a food and agriculture enterprise that exists to empower Ugandans to feed Africa. Agilis is the largest producer of grains and oilseeds in Uganda through Asili Farms, the group's farming division. We acquire and develop idle land, unlocking the potential of Uganda's rich soils, producing maize, soybeans and other grains and oilseeds on 13,500 acres according to high-yielding sustainable farming practices.
Job Summary: The Agilis-Partners In-house Lawyer will take responsibility for the organization’s legal matters and play an important role in the development of our business. We have a relaxed, informal and intellectually-challenging environment that we think would suit a lawyer looking for the chance to work autonomously within a unique environment. This role will take responsibility for all legal queries. Working as part of our team you will advise the leadership teams and provide general legal advice across a variety of areas. You must be able to draft and negotiate contracts; provide business advice in a legal context; recognize potential legal problems and prevent escalation at an early stage; obtain and manage relationships with outside counsel; manage certain compliance issues; and handle various other matters which may arise..
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be responsible for the delivery of efficient and effective legal advice & support.
• Offer efficient, timely and practical legal advice and strategic guidance to the Team, together with the Commercial & Finance, Sales & Marketing, People, and Delivery and Technical Assurance functions
• Support the Business Development and Client Engagement teams in the creation, review and negotiation of bespoke proposals, contracts and other legal and commercial documentation with Agilis clients and business partners (e.g. consultancy agreements, partnership agreements, license & support agreements, statements of work, letters of intent, etc.)
• Support in defining negotiation strategy and the negotiation of commercial arrangements, and become a primary point of contact for the Business Development and Client Engagement teams
• Provide expert advice and guidance on the legal aspects of various matters pertaining to Agilis Partners’ main areas of commercial focus – Contract and IT Law, Intellectual Property Rights, Software Licensing (including Open Source Software) and Employment Law
• Proactively recognize and highlight concerns and areas of potential exposure to risk as well as escalation of legal issues to the Management Team as appropriate
• Provide training in, and help raise awareness of, key legal and commercial issues affecting the Agilis- Partners’ consulting and business communities
• Address and manage legal compliance issues
• Obtain and manage relationships with outside counsel as appropriate
• Actively participate in the community of the Agilis Partners’ legal team
• Function as the corporate secretary responsible for all board resolutions and corporate filings
• Manage permitting and compliance across the group
• Interact with external parties including regulators, external counsel, politicians, clients
• Oversee all corporate litigation and external lawyers
• Oversee legal investigations
• Develop legal and other policies to mitigate any risk
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must be admitted to practice in Uganda
• 2-10 years of experience practicing law
• Strong contract drafting and negotiation experience
• Possess the ability to communicate with and earn confidence of business people
• Highly self-motivated lawyer who wants to participate in the business direction of a rapidly expanding diverse company.
• Fluent spoken/written English is required.
• Solid commercial contract/non-contentious experience, ideally in an Information Technology environment
• Wide range of commercial experience and some employment law experience is highly desirable
• Past experience in or knowledge of business financial accounting practices
• Possess the ability to manage a wide variety of relationships.
Communication: Can explain complex legal concepts to a layperson, without resorting to legal jargon.
Integrity: Works well with others, respectfully, admits when they are wrong or do not understand or know something and seeks credibility over authority.
Team Work: Actively builds relationships with colleagues and clients, respects the opinion and diversity of people different from themselves and is suspicious of hierarchy.
Curiosity: Interested in clients and their business beyond sorting out legal problems. Intellectually curious about technology – has an inner geek. Goes above and beyond to learn about Agilis- Partners and what we do.
Creative: Focused on providing commercial legal advice rather than the most legally correct answer: Finds innovative ways to be part of the wider Agilis-Partners world.
Job Exprience Requirements: 2-10 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs, academic documents and three references AS ONE PDF DOCUMENT to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday 27th November, 2020